Friday 17 June 2016

Sissinghurst Castle



Last Friday I went to Sissinghurst Castle along with other poets included in Paper Swans Press beautiful pamphlet The Poetry of Roses. We read in the rose garden where the colours and scents were stunning. It was a privilege to be in Vita's gardens after the crowds had left. We were able to wander around and take it all in. Unfortunately the tower was shut, but I will definitely be back. I'd been wanting to visit Sissinghurst for years but never imagined it would be a poetry reading that would lead me there.

I went on up to Aldeburgh for a few days of the music festival and saw the amazing Illuminations, staged to Britten's song cycle Les Illuminations, inspired by Rimbaud's poetry. It was a wonderful spectacle, part circus part opera, and Britten's music was truly fabulous. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

I do wonder what will happen in Aldeburgh for the weekend of the poetry festival. I'm keeping the date pencilled into my diary as I think it would be great to keep it going in some form or other and can see on Twitter that there is a movement in that direction.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Venice shrinking?

Is Venice shrinking?