Tuesday 21 June 2016

London Open Garden Squares Weekend



I was delighted to find myself in London during the OGSW and managed to visit three gardens with resident poets. Diane Mulholland was nearby in Fulham and by fluke I arrived just as she was giving a reading. She had written some lovely poems based on her time in All Saints Fulham Vicarage Garden and on the history of the garden. 

I then jumped on a bus to Nevern Square, and again things were on my side as John Grant was due to give a reading in 15 minutes which gave me time to look around and read poems he had pinned to the trees. He had a small but appreciative audience who loved his poems and his humour.

John in his POET's T shirt

I wanted to meet Julia Bird as I think I must have clocked up more hours with The Poetry School online courses than most people. She was resident poet at Arundel & Elgin Garden in W11 near where I once lived, so I went there on Sunday afternoon. She was in a suitably
poetic bower, so camouflaged by greenery that I nearly missed her. Poems hanging from trees like wind chimes held the clue to her whereabouts.




I love the whole idea of gardens with resident poets and will certainly apply next year as I think it would be a fascinating experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Venice shrinking?

Is Venice shrinking?